Home » Archive by category "cresihrn"

Ocean City Housing Authority Looks to Fill Vacancies With Local Residents

first_imgSpeitel Commons is being built next to Bayview Manor at Sixth Street and West Avenue. By Donald WittkowskiAmid its ongoing structural and management reforms, the Ocean City Housing Authority will now place a stronger emphasis on finding local residents to fill vacancies when they open up at its housing facilities for senior citizens and low-income families, the agency’s chairman says.Bob Barr, the city councilman who also serves as chairman of the authority’s board of commissioners, said there was “no urgency” in the past to place Ocean City residents in the Bay View Manor complex for senior citizens or the Pecks Beach Village housing site for families.Ocean City residents are supposed to be given preference for vacancies. However, Barr said more people from outside Ocean City were approved for housing at the Bay View Manor and Pecks Beach Village sites under the authority’s ex-management led by former Executive Director Alesia Watson. On May 16, Watson was removed by the board after she pleaded guilty to an embezzlement scheme involving her misuse of authority credit cards.At the same time it dumped Watson, the board approved a shared services agreement with the Vineland Housing Authority to have its executive director, Jacqueline Jones, fill the same position for the Ocean City Housing Authority. Barr said under Jones’ leadership, the authority will now emphasize the plan to try to fill housing vacancies with Ocean City residents.“There was no urgency to find Ocean City residents prior to Jackie coming on board,” he said.Seven vacancies have recently opened up, five at Bay View Manor and two at Pecks Beach Village. The housing authority began taking applications for those units on July 10 and will continue the process through Aug. 30.To date, only 11 applications have been turned in for those vacancies, said Sandy Velez, the authority’s assistant asset manager.Velez told the authority’s board members during their monthly meeting July 18 that there are plans to “inundate” Ocean City with applications to get more local residents to sign up.The authority has publicized the housing vacancies through its website, in newspaper notices and in fliers.City Councilman Bob Barr, who also serves as chairman of the housing authority, and Jacqueline Jones, the new executive director, are undertaking reforms at the agency.Jones explained that there isn’t a great deal of turnover with the tenants living at the authority’s housing sites. The seven vacancies have created the first openings in months, she noted.The heavier emphasis to find local residents to fill housing vacancies follows a number of financial and structural reforms at the authority prompted by Watson’s embezzlement scandal.On May 8, Watson admitted she misused two Ocean City Housing Authority credit cards to buy 69 MasterCard gift cards between December 2013 and March 2015. The gift cards were used for personal expenses and were also shared by Watson with friends and family members, authorities said.Watson then used U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development funds administered by the housing authority to pay off the credit card bills associated with her purchase of the gift cards, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.Authorities said between $6,500 and $15,000 was lost in Watson’s embezzlement scheme. Watson, 54, of Galloway Township, is scheduled for sentencing in federal court on Aug. 15 and faces a maximum penalty of one year in prison and a $100,000 fine.Prompted by concerns about the Watson embezzlement case, the housing authority hired an outside accounting firm to conduct an audit covering the period from Oct. 1, 2015, to Oct. 1, 2016. As previously reported by OCNJDAILY.com, the audit and a “corrective action plan” were approved by the authority’s board on July 18 as part of the ongoing financial and management overhaul of the agency following Watson’s guilty plea.The audit and other documents were handed over to an investigator from HUD’s Office of the Inspector General on Monday amid a federal probe of the housing authority’s finances. The authority has also contacted the Cape May County Prosecutor’s Office about the possibility of conducting an investigation in the wake of Watson’s embezzlement case, Barr said.Barr, however, has expressed confidence that the housing authority has begun a turnaround under its new leadership and reforms. He also said HUD has signaled its approval of the authority’s new management team.The housing authority uses federal funds from HUD to provide affordable housing for low-income senior citizens, families and the disabled at its Pecks Beach Village and Bay View Manor facilities.last_img read more

Continue reading »

Aryzta posts revenue growth

first_imgAryzta, the Swiss-based speciality bakery company, has this morning revealed a 0.9% increase in revenue to €1.91bn (£1.59bn).Its group ebita, or underlying profit, also grew by 3.3% to €178.8m in the six months to 31 January 2012.In its food group, the company which is listed in Zurich and Dublin, said revenue improved by 9.4% to €1.4bn, with its Food Europe division increasing by 7.5%.Owen Killian, Aryzta’s chief executive, said: “Underlying performance was robust, despite challenging trading conditions. 2012 remains a critical year of transformation for Aryzta with significant ATI-driven change under way across the group to enhance our customer-centric focus. This, combined with our strengthened balance sheet, will enhance future shareholder value from growth with existing customers and sector consolidation opportunities.”last_img read more

Continue reading »

21 year old arrested for impregnating high schooler

first_img Google+ 21 year old arrested for impregnating high schooler Google+ Facebook Twitter IndianaLocalNewsSouth Bend Market (Source: https://goo.gl/cu6FpO License: https://goo.gl/OOAQfn) A 21 year old man that allegedly impregnated a high school student has been arrested and is facing charges.St. Joseph County investigators say the 15 year old victim came forward in September of 2019 and identified Gavin Weimer as the father of her child. Police say the two met via an online game and met in person for tutoring.Weimer denied any sexual relationship but a DNA test has since matched him with more than 99% probability as the father.He is being charged with a single count of sexual misconduct with a minor. ABC 57 news has more details about the suspect here WhatsApp Previous articleMichigan tops 70,000 positive COVID-19 casesNext articleFirst execution in 17 years conducted in Terre Haute Carl Stutsman Pinterest Facebook WhatsApp Pinterest Twitter By Carl Stutsman – July 14, 2020 0 378 last_img read more

Continue reading »

Top investor Buffet admits “mistake” on Tesco

first_imgWarren Buffett, renowned US investor and world’s third richest man has admitted that investing in Tesco was a “huge mistake.”The influential investor has a 3.7% stake in Tesco, however the value of Buffett’s stake has reportedly fallen by about $750m (£465m) this year, according to The Guardian.The supermarket’s share prices fell to an 11 year low this year, following investigation into its shock profit error.Buffett told CNBC, the US television network: “I made a mistake on Tesco. That was a huge mistake by me.”The legendary stockpicker’s portfolio of investments includes names like Coca-Cola, IBM and American Express.He first bought a stake in Tesco in 2006. At its peak Buffett owned 5% of the business in 2012, but that has since fallen to 3.7%.Tesco has been struggling in the supermarket war, as sales have dropped amid competition from discounters like Aldi and Lidl.Tesco has seen declining sales amid increased competition from discount retailers like Aldi and Lidl, and growth of high-end offerings from Marks & Spencer and Waitrose.Meanwhile, sUK fund manager Neil Woodford – who sold his stake in Tesco in 2012 after its first profit warning – said last week it could be a long time before British Supermarkets became good investment prospects again.last_img read more

Continue reading »

Greencore furloughs staff as food-to-go demand falls

first_imgA sharp drop in demand for food-to-go has prompted Greencore to introduce a string of measures to reduce costs.The business said it was eliminating all non-essential operating costs and ‘tightening’ its food to go production network, furloughing staff using the government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.In, addition the board and the executive directors have taken a voluntary 30% cut in fees and salary for three months, with other senior management taking a 20% salary cut.“Since the UK government’s escalating measures to combat the outbreak, consumer demand and shopper behaviours have changed rapidly,” stated the company.“There has been a marked reduction in demand for the group’s food-to go-categories in grocery retail, which has been partly offset by the sustained volume growth in the group’s other convenience categories.”Greencore added it was working with customers and government agencies including the NHS and local communities to provide fresh prepared food to consumers and frontline workers during the pandemic.It has also carried out a range of precautions and safety measures for staff, focusing on social distancing across its manufacturing and distribution network.Greencore has suspended financial guidance for the current financial year as a result of uncertainty around the duration and impact of Covid-19, adding that its outlook in the 2019 full year results statement should no longer be considered current.“While the duration and impact of this pandemic remains uncertain, all of our stakeholders are continuing to work together to protect the business,” it stated.“The board is ensuring that Greencore remains a purposeful and hugely relevant business, feeding the UK right through this period, and importantly that it is also equipped with the team, strategy, reputation and balance sheet to accelerate forward when the pandemic passes.”last_img read more

Continue reading »

Lights, Camera, and Dell Technologies

first_imgAt Dell, we have a strong track record of working with studios to help explore new ways of immersive storytelling using technologies such as virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR) and artificial intelligence.Today, we are thrilled to be part of an incredible new collaboration with Sony Pictures, Deloitte and Intel to help create Innovation Studios, a one of a kind immersive technology facility on the Sony Pictures Studios lot that will help storytellers around the world. Dell is proud to power the studio with Precision workstations, PowerEdge servers, Isilon storage, Alienware and much more to ensure artists have all the computing power they need to bring their creative visions to life.Innovation Studios is a space designed to usher in a new era of filmmaking and visual effects by digitizing the real world. For example, a scene that takes place in New Delhi no longer needs to be shot in India. The entire experience can be digitally replicated in Innovation Studios by leveraging the latest in research and development from Sony Corporation and others in areas including volumetric video and customizable set scanning. This will allow new stories to be told that would never have had the chance using traditional filmmaking methods and budgets.A creator needs access to the right tools to bring their vision to life – and Innovation Studios has chosen the best. Dell has been the technology provider of choice for filmmakers for many years, and is the only technology company with an end to end ecosystem to consume, create and power VR and AR. In fact, five out of the last seven Academy Award-winning movies for visual effects used Precision workstations to create the incredible on-film experiences. The technology transforming ghosts from imagination to reality in the re-imagined Ghostbusters, and the power behind every single frame of Spider-Man: Homecoming has been built on a Dell Precision workstation, rendered on a Dell EMC PowerEdge server and a good portion stored on Dell EMC storage.Our dependable and scalable technology has not just been limited to film production either – Dell also has a strong track record in driving technology innovation to help customers tell their stories and communicate their ideas in innovative ways across a range of industries, from supporting the world’s first VR product launch for Jaguar’s I-PACE concept to working with Nike, Meta and Ultrahaptics to create a vison of the future of design.https://youtu.be/noutzo3xT8kPrecision workstations drastically reduce creation times, provide easy playback and pre-visualization of content. In addition, this caliber of digital effects requires an incredible amount of back-end computing power, speed and storage. Dell EMC provides flexible, reliable, and easy-to-manage storage solutions that help media companies create, maintain and protect their most valuable digital media assets. With simplified management of storage, our customers can focus on what they do best: creating and delivering great media content.We’re excited to be part of a collaboration leading the way to the future of AR, VR and mixed reality storytelling where key technologies are more accessible – we believe technology should foster creativity. We envision Innovation Studios as a place where the power of technology and the art of storytelling intersect and we cannot wait to see the amazing content that filmmakers and other creative professionals will unleash later this year.last_img read more

Continue reading »

Europe’s court condemns Russia over 2008 war with Georgia

first_imgTBILISI, Georgia (AP) — Europe’s top human rights court has found Russia responsible for a swath of violations in Georgia’s breakaway regions after the 2008 Russia-Georgia war. Georgia hailed Thursday’s verdict by the European Court of Human Rights as a major victory. Georgian President Salome Zurabishvili described the court’s ruling as “historic,” noting that Georgia was “recognized as a victim of this war and it is a great achievement for our country, our society, our history and our future.” The August 2008 war erupted amid rising tensions over the breakaway Georgian region of South Ossetia, much of which was under control of Russia-backed separatists.last_img read more

Continue reading »

Criminal Gangs Seek to Expand Control before Colombian Balloting

first_imgBy Dialogo July 28, 2011 Electoral violence may increase sharply in Colombia this year after a decade of sustained decline, as criminal gangs seek to consolidate and expend their control over local governments with a view to the upcoming elections, the Crisis Group think tank said on 25 July. The organization, headquartered in Brussels, fears an increase in attacks on candidates in the elections scheduled for late October, when Colombians will elect approximately 1,102 mayors, 32 governors, and thousands of town councilors and local legislators. It will be the first electoral test for the administration of President Juan Manuel Santos, who is seeking to prevent the interference of illegal armed groups in the process. “Illegal armed groups seek to consolidate and expand their holds over local governments in the October 2011 governorship, mayoral, departmental assembly and municipal council elections,” Crisis Group said. The organization said that the emerging criminal gangs made up of former extreme-right-wing paramilitaries, which constitute Colombia’s chief security threat, do not appear to be taking a unified approach to the balloting. “Some will be content with minimal relations to local politics to guarantee their impunity, access to information and freedom of action. But NIAGS (new illegal armed groups) are rapidly evolving into larger, more robust criminal networks, so some could develop a more ambitious political agenda,” the organization warned in a report. Government officials and candidates in Colombia were accused for years of connivance with paramilitary groups, leftist guerrillas, and other illegal armed organizations. Massacres, murders, kidnappings, and attacks against the country’s economic infrastructure declined after 2002 due to a U.S.-supported military offensive by former president Alvaro Uribe.last_img read more

Continue reading »

Credit unions lose ‘primary’ status with half of millennials as they age

first_imgAccording to a study by FICO, one in five Millennials aged 18-24 say they use credit unions as their primary financial institution. But this drops to only 10% for older Millennials, those ages 25-34.There are roughly 6,000 credit unions in the US today, collectively holding over $1.3 trillion in assets. In FICO’s survey, they earned high marks for overall trustworthiness, especially around the perception of providing greater transparency on fees.“Millennials ages 18 to 24 years old are noticing the value that credit unions provide as an alternative to large banks,” said Joshua Schnoll senior director at FICO. “In particular, this age group is attracted to low and transparent fee structures and better interest rates.” continue reading » 2SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Continue reading »

CUNA to attend Sept. 7 CUAC meeting on overdraft initiatives

first_imgCUNA will be in attendance at next week’s meeting of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s (CFPB) Credit Union Advisory Council (CUAC). The council, which has several CUNA members on it, will discuss overdraft and financial empowerment initiatives, according to the notice published by the bureau this week.The CUAC advises the bureau on regulating financial products and services, including how its actions affect credit unions.The meeting will be held at CFPB’s Washington, D.C. headquarters, starting at 3:30 p.m. (ET) Sept. 7. 9SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading »last_img read more

Continue reading »